Photobucket

Monday 31 October 2011

MIcroteaching OVER!

Finally, the 'battlefield' that I was waiting for is finally over. I'm referring to Food and Nutrition Microteaching of course.
I was lucky I had strong support from my group members, Shi Ping, Iva and Prabhleen. We had already run through each other's recipe together so each member knows what the other members are doing and even gave each other post-it notes so as to remind them on what we would like them to help out with each other's session. It really helps that all of us have clear communication thus resulting in almost no misunderstanding at all throughout the session.

As a teacher for the day though, my biggest fear was that, none of my students will be able to cook the samosa the way I taught them. I was afraid that I might talk too fast or my instructions was unclear to the point my students may not understand me.  Thus, you can imagine my relieve when almost everyone completed folding the samosas within the time frame stipulated and in the triangular shape I had hoped.
 Of course there were shocks and scary moments in my session. I was advised during my demonstration that I had used my equipments wrongly. Being already nervous, shaking, and getting reprimanded was definitely a test to see how well I can control my emotions and thank god, I manage to handle that calmly and take the advice with an open mind.This is a learning point for me because as a teacher, whatever you are doing might be deemed as 'right' by the students thus using the wrong equipments would most likely result in all of them using the wrong equipments too.

The other shocking moment was when I was told that there was small flood in the classroom which I did not realised. As a teacher, I felt that I had not been vigilant and observant enough to notice this.

Despite my fairly positive attempt on teaching the class on how to make samosa, I know that my microteaching could have failed without the help of people, mainly my teacher for telling me that my folding ways in the consultation was wrong, my extremely supportive groupmates and especially, my friend 'A' who taught me the right way to fold samosa. Can't wait for the next microteaching and be a student again!

No comments:

Post a Comment